Sunday, January 18, 2009

Macabre Movie Poster Madness - Tromatically Tantalizing

Troma. Purveyors of the Perverse. Bastions of Bad Taste.... I could go on, but you see where I'm heading.

Today, I've got a set of posters from some of the lesser known Troma productions. Everyone has seen Toxic Avenger or Nuke 'Em High posters a thousand times, but Invasion of the Space Preachers? I'd never heard of that one until I stumbled upon the poster.

The First Turn-On! One of Troma's early, pre-Toxic sex comedies. They made four of them in a row and each of them had unnecessary excalaimation points in their titles (the others being Squeeze Play!, Waitress! and Stuck On You!).

Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell. One of the more unlikey movies to have the title actually spoken by one of the characters in the movie. I don't mean someone is speaking the title as it comes up on screen, I mean a character actually says "Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell" at some point in the movie. What are the odds?
Invasion of the Space Preachers. This poster has it all. A reptilian alien preacher, a hot chick in her undies holding a huge gun, a frightened hawaiian-shirted spazz, and a slightly less frightened spazz in a long sleeve dress shirt and shorts.
Splatter University. This is one of the few easy to find 80's slasher movies I haven't seen. It's a cool poster, but I've heard from dozens of sources that it's just not worth watching. Of course I heard the same thing about Killer Workout, and I loved that one, so maybe I'll give Splatter U a go some time.
When Nature Calls. I like this one, a fun early National Lampoon-style Gone With The Wind spoof poster. I've actually seen this, but it was probably 10 years ago. To sum up what I remember from the movie:
Tuna Cans that play music
A teenage girl making it with a bear.

Personally, I'm not a big Troma fan. I've always liked the stuff they distribute, such as Cannibal! The Musical or Monster In The Closet more than the stuff they actually produce. That said, I did really enjoy Poultrygeist, so maybe they're finally starting to get better at making films after 35 years.